Choosing a Rubber Joint for a New Construction Project

When choosing a rubber joint for a new construction project, you should take a few factors into consideration. You should consider the materials used, the design, and the manufacturing process. Many high-end rubber expansion joints are mandrel-built and reinforced with reinforcement cords embedded in the rubber. These cords are usually applied in pairs with their cord angles in opposite directions. Afterward, they are cut and folded under the flanges.

Fabric reinforcement

Fabric reinforcement at a rubber joint improves dimensional stability and reduces tearing. Fabric reinforcement is typically placed using an automated CNC production process. The orientation of individual fibres determines how the joint will behave under pressure. In this application, fabric reinforcement is used to reinforce a single-bellows rubber expansion joint.

To reinforce a rubber expansion joint, it is necessary to use a prefabricated cord fabric. Nylon tire cord is a good example of such fabric. These reinforcement cords are woven into a predetermined pattern. These cords are then pressed with rubber compound during the calendering process. The reinforced rubber sheet is then wrapped around a mandrel or green form.

Synthetic rubber

A joint venture between two Italian oil companies and Malaysia’s state oil firm, Petronas, is paving the way for the production of synthetic rubber in the future. The new company will be based in Johor, Malaysia and will produce and market synthetic rubber. Petronas will hold a 60 percent stake in the new company, while Eni’s Versalis will own the other 40 percent. The new company will develop four elastomer plants.

EPDM, a synthetic rubber, is a good choice for use in rubber expansion joints. It is non-stick and has excellent chemical resistance. PTFE is also used in expansion joints. Other polymers used in expansion joints include butyl, chlorobutyl, and gum rubber.

Multiple arch design

A flexible arch is a structural structure that consists of multiple arch layers, connected by a flexible joint. These joints can be used to increase the contact area between the rock abutments and the dam, which can provide an additional safety margin. The location and length of the joint will depend on the arch dam geometry and its extreme working conditions. For instance, small joints may not have much function, while long joints may cause instability due to crack propagation. These factors must be taken into account during the design and selection of the artificial joints. In addition, optimization numerical studies are recommended to identify the optimal joint location and length.

This study has shown that rubber joint a multiple arch design can reduce the tensile stress concentration in the upstream corners of the arch structure by including a short joint at each end. Similarly, a 10-m-long joint placed at the middle of the downstream face can reduce the tensile stress concentration in this region.

Pressure capabilities

While both metal and rubber expansion joints have similar properties, there are important differences between these two types. For example, while the pressure capabilities of metal joints may be higher, they are not necessarily more flexible. The key is in the application conditions. It is important to choose a joint that will withstand the combined load of the parts it connects.

The pressure capabilities of rubber expansion joints are generally 250 psi, while those of metal materials are much higher. This is because metal materials offer better strength and agility than rubber. It is also important to consider the relative spring rates and thrust forces. You also need to consider the anchors you use, as they must be able to handle the combined load.

Installation location

When installing a rubber joint, it is important to install it close to the main anchor point of the pipe. The joint should be placed so that it can absorb any expansion and contraction of the pipeline. Afterwards, it is necessary to install pipe guides to avoid displacement of the pipe. This type of joint can absorb the expansion and contraction of the pipeline, but in some cases, a control unit is needed to limit the extension and compression movements.

In addition to the type of pipe used, installation location of the rubber joint should also be considered. It should not be installed in locations with high temperatures, ozone, acid or alkali, rain or wind erosion. It should also not be installed in places with inadequate drainage.